By Jennifer Jacobus, PHRca, SDEA CEO
With many companies in the throes of open enrollment, SDEA was excited to have Stephanie San Antonio, founder and President of SSA Insurance Services, facilitate a webinar for our members last month on The Five Best Practices for the Most Successful Open Enrollment Yet. Stephanie shared the following with attendees:
- Plan Ahead
- First and foremost, Stephanie strongly encouraged that employers plan ahead. Specifically make sure to call your broker at least 90 days in advance to schedule your renewal meeting.
- Approximately 60 days prior to renewal date, meet with your broker to strategize the renewal meeting/process.
- Hold your open enrollment meeting no later than 45 days pre-renewal. Communicate with employees on a regular basis to make sure that they are able to complete their benefit elections by the due date.
- 30 ahead of the renewal date, employees should have made their elections.
- 15 days before renewal deadline, check with broker to confirm the status of renewal changes.
- Survey Employees
A good time to survey your employees is about 80 days prior to your renewal date. Consult with your employees on how their benefits have been working for them in the past year. However, Stephanie did caution that if a survey is being conducted, employers should be prepared to hear what employees have to say and address concerns and suggestions. Consider the wants, needs and communication preferences for each demographic.
- Leverage Your Broker
Prepare your questions ahead of time. Remember that your broker is there to help you through this process. This is their job and you should not feel like you need to take on all the legwork.
- Engage Your Employees
Take a creative approach to your open enrollment meeting and remember to use this time to showcase how your company’s benefit package adds value to your employee’s life.
- Streamline the Process and Keep It Going All Year
Provide ongoing learning opportunities that support your company’s financial and physical wellness as well as your organization’s HR goals.
For questions or more information, call SDEA at 858-505-0024 or call SSA Insurance Services at 760-203-4292.